Online gambling is the fastest-growing gaming sector New Jersey, and lightning-fast broadband internet technology has made the online gambling experience just-as-good as, and in some cases, a preferred and more animated experience to gambling in a casino.
Here at Play-Newjersey.com we give you quality, up-to-date and thorough information on the best gambling sites including;
- Online Casino Gambling – legal-and-licensed in New Jersey for full legal play by New Jersey bettors since February 26 2013 when Governor Chris Christie signed New Jersey State Assembly Bill 2578.
- Online Sports Gambling – Fully legal-and-licensed for New Jersey sports bettors since June 2018 after the U.S. Supreme Court found on the side of the State of New Jersey and handed back control of sports betting to all U.S. States for self-determination.
*Note – The legal online gambling age in NJ is 21 for online casinos and sportsbooks and 18 for online horse racing betting.
Is Gambling Online Legal in NJ?
When it comes to Online Casino Gambling and Gambling on Sports in New Jersey, the first question on many people’s lips, “is gambling legal in NJ?”.
The answer is a resounding ‘yes’, however, each type of online gambling is subject to its own unique set of rules and regulations as outlined below.
Online Casinos have been legal for play for New Jersey’s residents and visitors since 2013.
New Jersey’s Online Casino’s went through a legalization process back in 2013 and the Garden State Online Casino Industry opened for business after the following steps that year;
- February 26 – Governor Christie signed the Online Casino Legalization Bill 2578.
- July 1- All 12 Atlantic City Casinos applied for online casino licenses.
- November 21 – 7 online casinos and 6 poker sites opened for business with a soft launch for testing.
- November 26 – Official New Jersey Legal Online Casino Launch.
The best online gaming sites in NJ have been setting revenue records month-on-month since, and are continually perfecting the online gambling experience for customers.
NJ Online Blackjack
Online bettors in New Jersey who enjoy gambling for real money and maximizing their return on investment are big fans of NJ online blackjack. Blackjack is incredibly popular among New Jersey’s online bettors, as the odds against the house are great (often as little as 0.5 per cent) and you have the potential opportunity to win some serious cash!
NJ Online Roulette
Another of the land-based casino games that has transferred successfully into the online casino realm is Online Roulette, and the simplicity of Online Roulette which make it extremely popular at New Jersey’s online casinos. With roulette’s basic rules, all New Jersey online players have an opportunity to get in on the winning action, and once mastered, playing with one of the established strategies can increase your chances to win.
NJ Online Slots
The vast majority of all games available on New Jersey online gambling sites are Online Slots. Software developers mix up the game themes (basing slots on TV shows, Movies, Music stars, books and magazines),and by offering different bonus rounds, free spins and even online progressive slots machines with giant life-changing jackpots, the wide range of slots keeps it fresh for New Jersey’s players.
Online Sports Betting
It wasn’t till 2018 that NJ fully legalized online sports betting, which was followed by the introduction of online sportsbooks for residents of, and visitors to New Jersey. The 2018 legalization timeline;
- May 14 2018 – U.S. Supreme Court ended the Federal prohibition on legal sports betting and handed each state the right to determine if they wish to proceed with sports betting or not.
- June 4 2018 – New Jersey State Governor Phil Murphy signs Assembly Bill 4111 into State law.
- June 14 2018 – Online Sports books and land-based sports books begin legal operation in New Jersey.
- 12th of each month since June 2018 – NJ online sportsbooks break revenue records month-on-month since legalization.
- New Jersey law allows for online sports books to offer a huge array of betting types on a wide range of sports, including NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA football and NCAA Basketball plus much more.
Football betting is one of the most popular of all sports betting types in New Jersey due to the Garden State’s proximity to the New York Giants, New York Jets and many college teams. Other than NFL and college football betting, wagering on the Canadian Football league (CFL) is also available at New Jersey’s online sports books.
Online betting on Major League Baseball (MLB) is readily available at all of New Jersey’s online sports books. The Garden State’s proximity to New York City and two of the biggest and most popular MLB franchises, the New York Yankees and the New York Mets, makes Baseball betting a highlight for New Jersey’s sports betting public.
NBL and NCAA College Basketball options are enormously popular among the Garden State’s sports bettors given the number of professional and college teams that are established right on the state’s doorstep.
Horse Racing Betting
All of the largest horse betting websites across the United States have a presence in the state of New Jersey, given the Garden State’s history with the development of horse racing and horse racing betting in the United States.
New Jersey Online Poker sites were first legalized back in 2013 under the same law as online casinos (See above 2013 timeline above in the Online Casino Legalization section). A liquidity sharing agreement between New Jersey, Delaware and Nevada allows for better games for online players with more active tables and tournaments to choose from, and also allows for bigger winning pots for poker sites in all 3 states.
Who Regulates Online Gambling in NJ?
New Jersey’s Division of Gaming Enforcement (DGE) is the sole body who regulates online gambling in New Jersey.
The day-to-day operation of gaming companies is overseen by the DGE. The DGE is also responsible for testing, review and approval of all games before the games are offered to the New Jersey online gaming public.
Game testing is done by the DGE in its own lab ensuring transparency and minimizing any potential corruption (a third-party testing lab certification is not required for approval of a game).
What is NJ’s Gambling Winnings Tax Rate
- Online Gambling – Tax on Winnings in the state of New Jersey is 15%.
- Land-Based Gambling – Tax on Winnings in the state of New Jersey is 8%.
Any large gambling wins over $600 may be subject to Federal Taxes.
Advantages of Playing at NJ’s Legal Online Casinos and Sportsbooks
Before getting started, think about what you want from your online casino or sportsbook.
We all want to win some money, and have fun along the way. Online casinos games and sports betting provide that source of fun and amusement wherever we want, when we want.
Some of the other advantages you will find in an online casino include;
- Special Promotions
- Huge Game selections
- Free Games
- Mobile Friendly Responsive Website (Play Anywhere – Anytime)
- Flexible Banking Options
How to get started
Interested in playing now? Simply click on the “Join Now” button for the online casino you wish to join from our list of reviewed and recommended online casinos below, or click on the online casino’s logo.